Monday, July 7, 2008

La Fin De Semana!

I had such a great weekend!  We went to a beach called Guayabitos (might be mispelled!) and it was such fun!  It was an all inclusive resort and there were so many activities included.  We went kayaking, "bananaboating", bike riding and just got to relax on the beach.  Well, I don't know if relax is the right word with all the vendors in your face every 5 minutes trying to sell you something.  I forgot to download my pictures, but will do that tomorrow, so you can see the mexican beach!  It was so great to have air conditioning (please don't take that for granted!), hot water to shower in and it was incredible to take a shower that wasn't just water "dripping."  It was a great break and a great vacation.  But, it also made me realize how much I take for granted.  As we were walking downtown, I looked around and saw small boys and girls working for every penny, sweating in the hot sun and thought about the fact that they don't get to go back to an air conditioned home or a great shower.  I pray I will always appreciate these little things when I return!  
On Saturday, I was reading through Ecclesiastes, and really got excited about what I read. Ecclesiastes 3:14-15 says "And I know that whatever God does is final.  Nothing can be added to it or taken from it.  God's purpose in this is that people should fear Him.  Whatever exists today and whatever will exist in the future has already existed in the past.  For God calls each event back in its turn."  I looked up this passage in commentaries and found this:  We have the world so much in our hearts, are so taken up with thoughts and cares of worldly things that we have neither time nor spirit to see God's hand in them.  Wow!  How much we should realize how fleeting our lives really are.  We are meant to spend eternity with Him and are simply visitors on this earth.  We focus so much on the trivial and meaningless junk of life, all the while, we are called to fix our eyes on the author and perfecter of our faith.  I pray that my eyes are fixed on Him during this time.  Ecclesiastes 6:10 says, "  Everything has already been decided.  It was known long ago what each person would be.  So there's no use arguing with God about your destiny."  There are so many days I want to argue with God!  But, how much should I revere and fear Him knowing that He knew all of this long before I was even here.  The commentary on this passage says, "Our life upon this earth is fleeting and uncertain.  Let us return to God, trust in His mercy through Jesus Christ and submit to His will.  Let our sight rest on God and not dwell on present things."  This was so timely for me, because I am so homesick right now.  I am so ready to come home, but know I need to focus my sights on Him and His purposes for me here.  He is not done yet!  I want to be, but He is not!  Sorry this is such a book today, I just really wanted to share what He taught me this weekend!  I miss ya'll like crazy, am praying for you and loving you!  

3 comments:

The Stuckey's said...

Haley,

I have been reading your blog off of Mary Beth's not realizing until today who you were. I hope all is well and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you study and live in Mexico this summer.

Talk to you soon.

Ashley

Maggie M. Cooper said...

haley-that was so wonderful to read! it just makes me so excited for what God will be doing in your life down there and when you return-i love you and am praying...i know how it is to be homesick:)...and it's not fun! i think God uses these times the most though, so don't miss a thing! i love you!

Jaime said...

Haley, I thought about you a lot on the fourth of July, wondering if you were having your own celebration in Mexico! Sounds like you're having so much fun! Thanks so much for your inspiring words- so refreshing to read!
Love you! Jai