So, last weekend didn’t turn out quite like we had hoped. We arrived at “Central Viaja” which is the Old Bus Station here thinking we could catch a bus to Mazamitla. When we went looking for the terminal for Mazamitla, we kept searching and searching and everyone there kept telling us there was no bus to Mazamitla, but we continued looking! By the time we were ready to admit there was no bus there, it was too late to get to the New Bus Station, where the bus we wanted actual was. We instead went to Tapalpa, which we had heard was beautiful. After a 3 hour bus ride with no AC, sweaty people and Mexican music blaring over the speakers, we arrived at Tapalpa. After about 10 minutes, we were done looking at all of the sites, which consisted of a cute little downtown area much like ones we have seen before. Everything that is interesting about Tapalpa is about 10 miles from the center of town. It would have been great if we had a car or even a bike, but no one wanted to walk 10 miles! Everyone had told us Tapalpa and Mazamitla are known for a drink called “Rompope” (Mexican Eggnog) so we went in search of some. After asking everyone in town where we could buy some, we ended up with these little bottles. I was so excited! I didn’t think about the fact that I don’t even really like eggnog, but thought I would love it since it was “mexican.” I took one sip and was done! Nasty! But the bottles are cute, aren’t they? Ok, enough of the negativity! If there is one thing I have learned here, which there are so many things I have learned, but I have definitely learned to adapt to change! Change happens here more than ever and we have come to use the term, “Cuando en Mexico!” or “Ce in Ce!” “When in Mexico,” things just sometimes don’t go according to plan! Well, a lot of times in Mexico, things don’t go according to plan. My teacher has at length explained to us that Mexicans under no circumstances make plans for anything. I can completely understand why after being here for 2 months.
We went to an orphanage on Tuesday and it was so much fun. These kids are so hungry for love and attention. I loved every minute of it. Some of the kids there have no families and some do but their families cannot support them and only come pick them up on the weekends. These kids beat up on each other like nothing I have ever seen, but a second later, will defend one another and take care of each other like brothers. As I was sitting there looking at these precious boys (we are not allowed to go to the girls orphanage because many of them were abused my men and males are not allowed in the orphanage so our group cannot go) and their shoes ripped in pieces, clothes “put together” and at the same time huge smiles on their faces, I am reminded that no matter how much I think I love them, God loves them so much more. When I leave here and can no longer go and love on these children, God remains here and is taking care of them. He loves His children so much more than we could ever imagine and I am grateful I am counted as one of them!
Sorry this has been so long! It has been a while since my last update and so much happens in only a few days here! I also wanted to share some verses that have meant so much to me lately:
“See I have written your name on My hand. Ever before me is a picture of Jerusalem’s walls in ruin.” Isaiah 49:16
“Who among you fears the Lord and obeys His servant? If you are walking in darkness, without a ray of light, trust in the Lord and rely on your God.” Isaiah 50:10
“For the Lord will go ahead of you, and the God of Israel will protect you from behind.” Isaiah 52:12
“The servant who grew up before God…One look at Him and people turned away. We looked down on Him, thought He was scum. But the fact is, it was our pains He carried-ourdisfigurements, all the things wrong with us…He took the punishment, and that made us whole. Through His bruises we get healed…And God has piled all our sins, everything we’ve done wrong, on Him, on Him.” Isaiah 53:1-6 (Message)
No comments:
Post a Comment